“There’s no suet required for this vegan mincemeat recipe”
Making mince pies from scratch is pretty easy, particularly when they’re vegan. There’s less mess, you know what’s gone into them and if you’ve got a food processor it all comes together pretty quickly.
Making the mincemeat is even easier though…
Well, once you’ve got your ingredients and a jar, all you need to do is combine them and be patient for a few days to give your fruit time to marinate. It’s probably almost as simple as walking or driving to the shop to pick up a jar of pre-made mincemeat, if you’ve already got the ingredients!
The thing I absolutely do love about choosing to make your own mincemeat, though, is that you get to choose which fruit and which liqueur go into your pies.
Once you’ve made your mincemeat, it’s time to make the mince pies!
PREP TIME: 10 mins
MATURING TIME: 3 days
COST: < £5
- 750 g dried fruit mix
- 100 g grated carrots
- 150 g/ granny smith apples peeled and cut into small pieces
- 1 orange rind grated and juice
- 1 lemon rind grated and juice
- 5 cm of fresh ginger peeled and grated
- 60g agave syrup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of allspice powder
- 125 ml Brandy/Whisky or Rum (pick one not all three)
- Combine all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir well
- Place in a masonry jar or keep in the bowl and cover with muslin cloth or a tea towel
- Allow to sit for 3 days at room temperature to mature
- Spoon into chunky jars and top each with 2 tablespoons of your chosen spirit
- Or the mixture will be ready to use and will keep for at least a month due to the high alcohol content