“Cheeselets, Cheesy footballs, Mini Cheddars, and Twiglets are the snacks I most associate with Christmas, not missing out this year I decided to make my own!”
Any of you remember having to go Christmas food shopping with your parents or Grandparents to stock up on snacks to feed the five thousand at the local green grocers and supermarkets?
“We need to go early,” my Mum would say. “Miss the crowds.”
Everyone else had the same idea, so it was busy! So the following year:
“Let’s go a bit later this year” Mum said. “Miss the crowds.”
Low and behold, it was busy then too. As much of a headache as it was for my Mum and for me the things I looked forward to most was picking the snacks I didn’t usually get to eat throughout the year.
And now I’m a little older, and wiser, I’ve realised that some of them, you can just make at home, yourself!
We all know it’s pretty simple to find crackers without any animal ingredients in, but not so easy when they contain cheese or cheese flavouring. This recipe manages to achieve both.
If you want to make larger crackers feel free to cut larger squares.
Never made crackers before?
Before these, me either! And honestly don’t sweat it. They take about as much time as it takes to make some cupcakes which I was totally onboard with and have ingredients that many of you will have as your cupboard staples.
The hardest part for me, was literally waiting for them to cool because I wanted to know what they tasted like and of course I wanted a nibble.
Once cooled these were so good, I’ve actually thought about making small bags of them to put in my food hampers for Christmas gifts this year.
PREP TIME: 7 mins
COOKING TIME: 17 mins
COST: < £3
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice
- 5 to 6 tablespoons of cold water – or more as needed
- Preheat your oven to 180C.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, nutritional yeast, baking powder, salt, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and turmeric. Mix well.
- Add the olive oil, butter, and lemon juice, mixing with a fork until the dough is crumbly.
- Add the water a tablespoon at a time until the dough comes together
- Transfer the dough to a piece of greaseproof paper
- Using another piece of greaseprrof paper on top of the dough, use a rolling pin to roll out the dough until thin – approx the depth of a 1 pence piece
- Transfer the greaseproof paper and rolled-out dough to a baking sheet.
- Remove the top sheet of parchment paper and cut the rolled dough into 2-inch squares using a knife
- If desired, remove any uneven pieces of dough from around the edges and roll it out to get more crackers
- Bake in the oven for 15 to 17 minutes, or until the crackers are baked but not browned. They should be a golden colour
- Cool completely on the baking sheet
- These crackers keep well for a week in a sealed container at room temperature
How did you find these nibbles? Let me know how it turned out or share your pictures!